Our hydropower solutions
CVE has chosen to expand its energy mix to gain a foothold in small-scale hydropower and medium-sized plants (PCH, in France) of all types (low- and high-head). The Group’s strategy in hydropower depends on first acquiring operating plants, then developing and building new hydroelectric plants that are managed in-house.
- If you own an existing hydroelectric plant, a mill, or a diversion dam… and you’re looking to sell your asset or are being forced to perform renovations on your facility (particularly for environmental preservation). Cap Vert Energie can step in as an acquirer and offer you any type of solution, from buyouts to partnerships.
- Either you’ve identified potential on your own land, or a site fit for a hydroelectric power project. Cap Vert Energie can work with you to develop the project or purchase it from you.
Get the benefits of hydro power today
- Hydroelectric plants, connected to the power grid, are historically anchored in their communities, close to where consumers are: As a precursor to decentralized energy models, hydropower is in line with new societal expectations and CVE’s vision of the renewables market.
- This is a form of energy that has a very high efficiency (up to 90%).
- Of all forms of energy, hydropower is the one that emits the fewest greenhouse gases.
A hydro solution for communities
To assist local governments in developing hydropower plants in their communities in order to meet their environmental and energy goals Cap Vert Energie has set up a dedicated solution.
We offer a long-term partnership with the community with a threefold commitment: Covering the project’s development expenses, providing our financial and technical engineering, and the option for participatory financing.
Our hydropower experts
With a dedicated team that brings together technical, legal, and financial skills, the hydropower business is able to offer crosscutting expertise that makes it possible to securely complete your plant sale or development projects.
Our regional locations
CVE has developed its biogas business through six regional offices in Marseille, Lyon and Toulouse. Our approach is totally in line with the dynamic of energy-positive communities that seek to become energy-independent by producing renewable power locally.
Got a question
power generated in France, with 13%, and is the 3rd-largest source of electricity worldwide. Among the oldest sources of electricity ever developed, hydropower benefits from great technological maturity. With a strong industrial supply chain, it therefore represents a safe, reliable form of energy.
In a future dominated by renewables, small-scale hydropower is an asset for balance, grid security, and all the services that it provides which are necessary for the general balancing of the electrical system.
Cap Vert Energie focuses its business on two categories of plants:
- Run-of-river plants
Run-of-river plants are mostly Small Hydraulic Plants (those with power between 500kW and 10MW) and are owned by autonomous producers from very different backgrounds (individuals, mill owners, paper companies, family groups, etc.). They may be low head or high head, and are characterized by the absence of water retention downstream and by real-time production. How does it work?
- Some of the watercourse is diverted to the power plant using a dam or intake, then directed to the power plant via a canal and/or penstock for mountain-based plants.
- A hydraulic turbine, combined with an electrical generator, then makes it possible the water’s hydraulic energy into electrical energy.
- Drinking-water driven
Drinking-water driven hydropower use gravity and mountain elevations to create energy and thereby use the hydraulic energy of the water that flows within water utility networks. Drinking-water driven facilities generally include a turbine installed at the low point of the network, normally immediately downstream of the headworks reservoir. This activity is a nascent market in France, which may develop as part of the energy transition supported by local governments.